WJR TEAM (U14 & Under)
WJR is primarily our development racing program which provides athletes with an opportunity to compete in a fun, local recreational league. This group will focus on skill development, speed acquisition and of course having fun! We recommend this program as a great development step for U6-U12 athletes who are looking to get involved in ski racing. Many athletes in this program will transition into USSA racing and/or high school racing in the coming years so this program really focuses on refining skills, increasing their comfort with speed and getting more comfortable with skiing against competition.
- Includes two on snow sessions per week starting in December and ending in March (start & end dates dependent on snow/training availability).
- WJR U14 & under program will training on Tuesdays 4:30-6:30PM and Thursdays 4:30-6:30PM at Tyrol Basin.
- Includes coaching at all WJR races, which are scheduled for 6 first Saturdays in January and February (1/6, 1/13, 1/20, 1/27, 2/3, 2/10). The 2/3 race is at our home hill, Tyrol Basin!
- Includes WJR race fees.
- Includes coaching at all 4 USSA Metro Cup races. This is an optional race series to introduce your athlete to USSA ski racing events. For details on the Metro Cup series please visit the Region 2 website.
- Includes coaching at the USSA U8-U14 Central Championships in March at Brule. This is a great opportunity for athletes to try USSA racing. The event is always fun for the athletes and we highly encourage all WJR athletes to attend.
- We recommended that all WJR U14 and under athletes attend the Central Skills Camp planned for December 2nd and 3rd this year in Wausau. This camp is run by USSA Central Division and will be supported with Mad Alpine coaches. How to register and camp fees will be posted later this fall.
- A high level of support from a professional experienced coaching staff. All coaches are registered USSA (United States Ski Association) coaches that have been background checked and are continually seeking education to improve their coaching skills.
- A low athlete to coach ratio at training and races.
- Goal setting assistance and individual track planning available in the fall each year.
- Eight session comprehensive dryland training program.
- Includes coaching at Tyrol Holiday Camp (12/26-12/28). Discounted fee for Mt. La Crosse Holiday Camp (12/29-12/31) as a member of Mad Alpine.
- End of season banquet for WJR athletes usually scheduled for the end of February. Details to come.
- Additional training opportunities during the season will be announced when available. Additional fees may apply for coaching at these add-on events.
- Program Fee: $450
- All Mad Alpine members (no matter what program) are required to have a license with US Ski & Snowboard. For the majority of WJR athletes a USSA "General Membership" of $20 is all that is required. The USSA General Membership provides benefits including insurance and discounts. Please sign up for the USSA membership prior to signing up for Mad Alpine. Register here.
- WJR competition rules can be found here on the WJR website.
Helmets with solid shells covering both ears are required on all helmets. NO soft ear helmets will be permitted.
Face bars/guards are not permitted in Giant Slalom and are optional in Slalom.
- This is a volunteered run sport so all parents of all clubs are required to volunteer throughout the season. Thank you in advance for your support!
- If your athlete competes in any USSA race this season (such as the Championships at Brule in March) they are required to be using equipment that is in alignment with USSA regulations.
- Attached are general recommendations from Mad Alpine for equipment.