intro to race
Intro to race is our transition program between the Mountain Explorers program and our Wisconsin Junior Race program. The focus of the program is to continue to develop a strong skiing foundation outside of the race course and then to take those skills and translate them into a race course. This program is primarily a fundamentals and training program that includes racing in three Wisconsin Junior Racing competitions during the season to provide experience in ski racing competitions.
- Includes two on snow sessions per week starting the second week of December (week of December 9th) and ending the first week in March.
- Training sessions will be held on Tuesdays 5:30-7:00PM and Thursdays 5:30-7:00PM at Tyrol Basin. In addition, we are offering a drills and skills session on Sunday afternoons for athletes that have conflicts on either Tuesday or Thursday evenings. These Sunday sessions will run from Noon-1:30PM. An email will be sent out to all Intro to Race families prior to the start of the season to confirm which two sessions your athlete will be participating in.
- Includes coaching at three Wisconsin Junior Racing (WJR) competitions. These races will be held in January and February; race dates are still being finalized. The WJR races are held on Saturdays at resorts in Milwaukee and Madison.
- Includes WJR race fees.
- A high level of support from a professional experienced coaching staff. All coaches are registered USSA (United States Ski Association) coaches that have been background checked and are continually seeking education to improve their coaching skills.
- A low athlete to coach ratio at training and races.
- Goal setting assistance and individual track planning available in the fall each year.
- 18 session comprehensive dryland training program is included and starts in September.
- Additional training opportunities during the season will be announced when available. Additional fees may apply for coaching at these add-on events.
- Program fee: $450 (+$20 US Ski & Snowboard Membership Fee, see note below)
- All Mad Alpine members (no matter what program) are required to have a license with US Ski & Snowboard. For Intro to Race, you are required to have a US Ski & Snowboard "General Membership" which cost $20. The USSA General Membership provides benefits including insurance and discounts. Please sign up for the USSA membership prior to signing up for Mad Alpine. Register here.
- Hard shelled helmets must be worn during all sessions.